At age 45, I am flattered when people write me or comment about my skin. And I get asked frequently about what I do to take care of my skin and make it glow. So, I’m finally putting it all down in writing for you!
Is it vain to care about how your skin looks? Sure it is. But healthy skin also comes from a healthy lifestyle on the inside and a desire for self care as well. Therefore I think there is absolutely no shame in caring about your skin or how it looks.
Getting glowing skin is a combination of external and internal health habits.
Taking care of my skin, or at least “the idea” of it, actually started at a young age, when my mother attempted to impart the virtues of self-skin care to me and my sister. Of course, as with many things our mothers try to teach us, I didn’t really “get it” until I was about 30, when it dawned on me that I was getting older.
After the facial, I was high for three hours! (Some of you might remember the yoga class I taught right afterwards…)
Something about the nourishment, aromatherapy, and pampering made me feel like I was on a cloud. It left such an impression that I was ready to do whatever my aesthetician told me to do to get this feeling on a daily basis. I bought the cleanser, the serums, the mists, the moisturizers, the masks, the eye creams - and I haven’t looked back since!
Ever since that pivotal moment, skin care has been a major part of my day and a lovely ritual. Long gone are the days of just washing my face with soap, putting on a basic face cream, and walking out the door.
For 15 years I’ve followed a complete ritual, which can seem (and is!) expensive and time consuming, but it’s been an investment in myself that has paid off. When you live in a dry climate with 300 days of sunshine a year like I do, the environment can take a toll on your skin. Despite having lived in Colorado for 10 years, I’ve been able to protect my skin and keep the glow with a 5-step daily process.
My Daily Skin Care Ritual:
For this 5-step ritual, I use all Jurlique products which are 99.9% organic, natural, and chemical free. Jurlique is an Australian company that makes an all natural, organic line of skin care products with biodynamically grown ingredients free from synthetic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides and insecticides.
This line may or may not work for your particular skin, and if it doesn’t, I encourage you to find an organic, chemical free line like Dr. Hauschka, Weleda, or Pangea Organics. As long as it resonates with your skin (no rashes, no breakouts or burning!).
- Cleanse with a cream or foaming cleanser (not soap!).
- Apply a cream exfoliator and rinse. Do this daily if specified for daily use, if not alternate days. Do this step only in the evenings.
- Apply a toner mist (blot into skin with fingers).
- Apply serum and eye cream.
- Apply moisturizer with sunscreen for daytime (reapply mid day especially if you are in intense sun/altitude); apply night cream before bed.
Tip: your skin benefits most when it has direct contact with your products, so be sure to cleanse first!
In addition to the daily regimen…
- Exfoliate with a Clarisonic 3x per week in place of step 2. If you don’t have a Clarisonic, just use the exfoliating cream.
- Once a week, use a detoxifying, hydrating mask. Weekends are a good time to fit this in.
- Get a monthly facial if possible (let the professionals do a deep cleanse, massage, and treat your skin; a good aesthetician can also help you find the right products for your skin).
- Considerations for a dry climate – use a facial steamer 1-3x per week and especially before your weekly mask (I like the Panasonic EH-SA31). Run a humidifier in your bedroom while you sleep.
- Remember, whatever you’re doing to your face, you should also be doing to your neck!
- For lip care, I find that most chapsticks and lip balms actually dry out my lips. The one natural product I’ve found that works to moisturize and protect is Alba Unpetroleum Jelly in a tube or their chapsticks, which are fantastic.
Alright. Now you know what I do for my skin externally, but skin care is two fold – what you put in your body also makes a huge difference! Below are some ways I tackle the health of my skin from the inside out.
- Drink tons of water – use a hydration calculator online to find out how much you need.
- Green juice daily – suggested juicer Omega VRT 350.
- Omega 3’s critical – I like using a vegan fish oil equivalent by Premier Labs, called DHA. As I age, this supplement has made all the difference (not just for my skin, but for my hair, nails, and my memory)! When I am not taking it, my skin looks dry and less glowing. I take a high dose, but as always, check with your health care provider as to what amount is right for you.
- Welcome good fats into your diet such as coconut, coconut oil, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, hemp seed oil, sprouted nuts and seeds, etc.
- A high fiber diet is key too – chia seeds, greens, and fiber supplements help keep the gut clean and moving, which is great for the skin.
- Many people also find that dairy products negatively affect their skin, likely due to the difficulty in digesting dairy. I’ve been dairy free most of my life.
There you have it! What do you do to keep that beautiful glow? Comment below and let’s continue to share and spread the skin care love!